Half Peaks Skyline Solo

With races all over the UK being cancelled many events have been giving out route .gpx files in or for people to run the events virtually. I have been using this as an excuse to scout out race routes with a view to hopefully racing them next year. The peaks skyline is a race on my radar a classic peak district 50k with a notoriously tough cut-off time. In this case I decided to scout out the more manageable half route which is just over the half marathon distance with 800+m of elevation change.

The route starts close to Poole Caverns in Buxton and heads up the short climb through the woods up to Solomon's Temple. Heading back through the woods I was a bit complacent and managed to trip on a root sending myself tumbling leaving myself a bit bruised and shaken up but so early into the route I didn't want to call it a day there so carried on regardless just took it a little easier after a short break.


The course proceeds to climb out of Buxton through Burbage and head over the hills with stunning views down towards Three Shires Head. Its was at this point I found myself following a hovering Kestrel which kept teasing my as I was trying to take a photo before flying off into the distance! From Three Shire Head the route follows the river upstream before climbing sharply to the road and then along the top towards the Cat and Fiddle Inn. This path was covered in Mountain Bikers so I would be mindful watching out for them as some are moving pretty quickly!


From the Inn there is a little detour to the top of shinning tor for some stunning views out of the peak district. Then is the descent back down towards Buxton or so I thought... There is a steep descent followed by another climb over a hill before returning back to Poole Caverns.


Overall a great course despite the mishap I had at the beginning and I'll definitely be returning to hopefully race it in future years! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Return to Racing (Thoresby 10k)

The Road to Snowdonia