A Return to Racing (Thoresby 10k)

 When I thought about writing this post I was hoping it would be about how racing had started to resume and the effectiveness of the new measures in making it as safe as possible. Unfortunately the UK is now in another lockdown but I think the measures taken at this time made for a safe feeling environment which kept the racing atmosphere and spirit as much as possible and I have nothing but praise for the organisers for this.

After a sizeable amount of training just to keep the ball rolling with my 2 summer goal races getting cancelled I managed to get some more specific training in with the local club. At this point I should add that after moving house just before lockdown one this was affectively all new people to me but Its seems like we all ran well this weekend over the different distances we attempted.

The Thoresby 10k is a trail race around the Hall and its grounds one lap being the 10k course and 2 slightly extended laps creating a half marathon option. I took part in the 10k having recently increased my speed work this seemed like a great option to spin the legs out and find out all about racing in a covid world.

Donning a club vest and the short shorts once again

I have to say I was very impressed, Even though the even took place entirely outside every was expected to and in fairness was complying with the rules to wear a mask in the race village. Also there were wave starts based on predicted speeds with people setting off in pairs down a funnel at more than 2m apart. This had the exact affect of spreading the field out from mile 1 whilst still meaning you were running solo you still had the feeling that you were in a race.

One thing I had certainly forgotten is that 10ks hurt and there is no way around it, working hard from the start line. I had hoped to pb after a really good training block but to come in just outside on a trail course with a reasonable amount of undulation felt good. Also a top 20 finish at any race isn't to be sniffed at. Unfortunately since this race I have sustained an injury to my foot and with there being nothing more to train for until next year I have been taking it extra carefully and sticking to bike rides and walks for now. Hopefully by the new year races will start back up again after a break the fire to race again will be lit. This was just an intermezzo.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Road to Snowdonia

Half Peaks Skyline Solo